Monday, April 21, 2008

Submission

Hey guys, after a break I'm back again and ready to share some thoughts. This is something I picked up from an Old Testament Survey class at college, its great stuff.

Now the word in the title does not sit well with many. Some times we struggle to fully submit, why I say fully is because there is the case for just submitting because of obligation, in which case is done out of resentment or with a lousy attitude. I would like to think thats not what true submission is about. For those who want to read more on this, go and get Undercover by John Bevere. I promise you it is an amazing book and its truly worth spending on, this is one of the very few books that I will say is a must have for all believers.

Here's a few scriptures which are very much self explanatory.

Romans 13:1-5 (New International Version)

1Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves.

1 Peter 2:13 (New International Version)

13Submit yourselves for the Lord's sake to every authority instituted among men: whether to the king, as the supreme authority,

Hebrews 13:17 (New International Version)

17Obey your leaders and submit to their authority. They keep watch over you as men who must give an account. Obey them so that their work will be a joy, not a burden, for that would be of no advantage to you.

What would I like to add is that submission is only valid when it comes under challenge. How easy it would be to submit because we like our leader, we agree with them, we think they are wise etc. But when we struggle to really submit, be it out of pride or insubordination, is when we truly must humble ourselves to do so, because what does the word of God say? All authourity is appointed by God, as much as it is difficult to comprehend at times. Now of course I'm not saying to obey when a leader asks you to sin, but other than that extremity there is no other justifiable reason for us to refuse. Lets take a look a a biblical example.

David was a man who had every right to not to submit to Saul. Saul was incredibly threatened and insecure about David. Saul was already on the verge of losing his title as King because of his wickedness so he tries to do whatever he can to prevent David from taking his crown. But David never once attacks Saul back, he TWICE had the chance to kill Saul. The end of his troubles could have been done right then! Just finish Saul off, and its done! You would think that would make perfect sense. But David does not, and even telling his companion Abishai "I will not strike the Lord's annointed." That is an incredible biblical concept there. (events told from 1 Sam 18-26)

My lecturer Ps Brendan Roach said that "You learn more being submitted to a bad leader than a good one." I would agree with him on that. I'm sure David learnt a whole lot as well.

What we don't realise is that when we "attack" God's annointed, what we are actually doing is.. we are attacking God! David understood that, he understood that God was the one who put Saul on the throne as King, and knew for a fact that it was not his place to determine that it was a wrong decision under any circumstance. That is what people do sometimes, either it is through criticism of a leader, through gossip, disobediance, or even witholding support from our superiors. All are signs of disobediance and as the bible says he who rebels is rebelling against God and therefore bring judgment upon themselves. (read scripture quoted above.)

One last point I would like to add, whoever claims "I am only submitted to God!" ; "I obey none but God Himself!", I would like to suggest these people have an enourmous problem. Let me make this clear, it is NOT a biblical concept to be only submitted to God. God made us a body (1 Cor 12), and whoever thinks they should operate on their own accord are deceiving themselves. After all, does not Ephesians 5:21 tell us Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ. I would say that I am much happier that I am actually submitted and have the covering of people whom can correct me when I make mistakes and will back me up when I need help. It is easy to try to be superstar for Christ, but I would say that would not get you very far.

Submission is really a thing that needs mastering, I am not quite there yet myself. But I do understand however it is an essential characteristic to have in the kingdom, I pray that you do.


No comments: